New Jersey roads are notorious for their heavy traffic. With all those drivers interacting on all those roadways, there’s bound to be mishaps. Having a car accident can be a stressful experience — just a minor one can shake up even an experienced driver. If you get involved in an auto accident, don’t miss capturing important information. Taking the right steps at the scene will make the entire claims process run faster and smoother, and get you back on the road to enjoy New Jersey in summer.
So, what are the steps to take after a car accident?
- Stay calm and remain at the scene.
- Contact police and, if necessary, medical services; ask a passing motorist to call if you’re unable to.
- After you call the police, write down the following information:
- Exact location, date and time.
- Names, addresses and drivers’ license numbers of all the other drivers and passengers.
- Any injuries to you or others involved.
- License plate numbers, vehicle identification numbers, the name and address of all owners of all vehicles and a description of the vehicles involved.
- The names and contact information of any witnesses.
If possible, take photos of the damage to all of the vehicles involved in the accident with a cell phone. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Plymouth Rock has 24-hour online claim support, and the system will guide you through the initial filing process. As soon as possible, an adjuster will come out to take a look at the damage to your vehicle and estimate what it will take to restore it (or replace it, if it’s totaled). Then, Plymouth Rock will reimburse you for the amount of the repair, sometimes the same day.
To learn more about our extraordinary claims service, click here.
Taking the right steps at the scene will make the entire claims process run faster and smoother.
The information provided here is not a replacement for, or an addendum to, your policy contract. For a complete description of your coverages and definitions, please refer to your policy contract.